Suffering any kind of injury in an accident can be life-changing, especially if you incur massive hospital bills, lose wages, or are unable to return to your previous job. It can also be difficult to advocate for yourself in the aftermath of an accident, especially when the negligent party and legal professionals who are supposed to help you are not familiar with how to effectively communicate with persons with hearing loss.
At Bruce J. Gitlin, P.C., we are committed to fighting for members of the deaf and hard-of-hearing communities in personal injury litigation. If you suffered injuries or losses as the result of malicious conduct or an accident that was not your fault, we may be able to help you recover damages. Our New York City deaf and hard-of-hearing personal injury lawyers have over 40 years of experience and have litigated these matters in state and federal courts. We understand how to effectively work with persons with hearing loss and will ensure you receive the communication and resources you deserve. Securing the compensation that you are entitled to under the law is our top priority, and we will be there to protect your interests from beginning to end.
Personal Injury Cases We Handle in New York
Our team at Bruce J. Gitlin, P.C. is prepared to handle many types of personal injury claims. When you come to our firm, we will work with you through your preferred communication method and take the time to learn your story. After carefully reviewing the facts of your case, we will review your rights and help you understand what types of compensation you may be able to recover.
Our New York City deaf and hard-of-hearing personal injury attorneys are prepared to assist you with cases involving:
- Car, Truck, and Motorcycle Accidents. Motorists owe a duty of care to other drivers on the road, and they become liable for any injuries they cause when they fail to follow traffic rules or drive recklessly. Other parties may be liable for truck accidents and or crashes caused by vehicle component defects.
- Slip and Falls. If you are injured in a fall caused by a dangerous condition (such as a slick surface or uneven flooring), the property owner may be liable if they knew about or should have known about the hazard but failed to adequately warn you or resolve it.
- Work Accidents. You cannot typically sue your employer (or a co-employee) if they maintain a workers’ compensation insurance policy, even if they were at fault for a workplace accident. However, you can pursue a personal injury claim against a third party whose negligence caused your injuries in addition to collecting compensation through workers’ comp.
- Sexual Abuse. If you have experienced any level of sexual abuse, you may be able to file a civil lawsuit against the perpetrator and attempt to recover damages.
- Wrongful Death. When an accident kills someone, qualifying parties (including immediate surviving relatives and representatives of the estate) can file a lawsuit against the liable party.
Why Hire a New York Personal Injury Lawyer
If you have sustained an injury due to someone else’s negligence, it is important that you seek help from a qualified personal injury attorney. In many cases, these attorneys will be able to help you receive the compensation you deserve for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Hiring a personal injury lawyer in New York may seem like an intimidating process, but it can be invaluable in helping you get the justice and reimbursement you need. A qualified attorney can investigate the accident, help you navigate the legal system, and protect your rights. They will have an in-depth knowledge of applicable laws and can offer expert advice in dealing with insurance companies.
Additionally, New York personal injury attorneys often have access to resources that you may not have at your disposal, such as investigators and expert witnesses. They can use these resources to build a strong case on your behalf and maximize the value of your claim.
At Bruce J. Gitlin, P.C., our New York personal injury lawyers specifically serve members of the deaf and hard-of-hearing communities. We will ensure their rights and best interests are protected inside and outside the courtroom to obtain the most favorable award or settlement.
In most personal injury cases in New York, you have three years from the date of an accident to file a claim. Should an accident result in death, you will have two years from the date of your loved one’s passing to start a wrongful death lawsuit. You will be prevented from recovering damages if you do not start the legal process in time, so seek legal advice as soon as you can.
Our New York City deaf and hard-of-hearing personal injury lawyers will work to recover compensation for all relevant losses, including:
- Past, current, and future medical bills associated with the accident
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Loss of consortium
- Property damage
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Understanding the Legal Process for Personal Injury Cases
When you've been injured in an accident, it's important to understand the legal process for pursuing a personal injury claim. Our experienced New York personal injury attorneys at Bruce J. Gitlin, P.C. can guide you through each step of the process, from gathering evidence and filing a claim to negotiating with insurance companies and representing you in court if necessary.
Key aspects of the legal process for personal injury cases include:
- Evaluating the strength of your case
- Gathering evidence to support your claim
- Negotiating with insurance companies for a fair settlement
- Filing a personal injury lawsuit if a settlement cannot be reached
- Representing you in court and advocating for your rights
Our team is dedicated to helping you navigate the legal process and achieve the best possible outcome for your personal injury case.